For Patients with Sensitive Skin
Irritants are substances that can directly damage the skin. They include acids, alkalis and solvents.
They can cause red or bumpy rashes.
Below is a list of Dos and Don’ts to help you avoid irritant-related rashes.
- Use a laundry detergent that does not contain fragrances or phosphates. Examples include: ALL Free and Clear, Cheer Free, Dreft.
- Use a bathing bar or wash (not a real soap) that does not contain fragrance. Examples include: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, Aquanil, Dove for Sensitive Skin, Aveeno bar, Neutrogena Cleansing Bar Fragrance Free or Vanicream Bar.
- Use DHS Clear Shampoo, Free and Clear Shampoo or Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo.
- Use Aim, Arm and Hammer, Crest Multi-Care, Mentadent or Pepsodent toothpaste.
- Use Mitchum Unscented, if you need a deodorant.
- Use Downy Free, if you need a liquid fabric softener.
- For body moisture you can use CeraVe Lotion or Cream, Aquaphor, Curel without fragrance, Nouriva Repair, Original Eucerin, Vanicream or Vaseline.
- Use dryer sheets like Snuggle or Bounce.
- Use regular detergent.
- Use real soap (i.e. Ivory or Dial).
- Take bubble baths.
- Take bath or shower with very hot or very cold water.
- Wear new clothes without washing them first (DO use detergent from the list above to wash new clothing).